Wake Up And Live

The Dental Adventure

Posted in Uncategorized by Sarah Skeen on March 2, 2009

So, on Thursday the 19th I went to the dentist to have my two lower wisdom teeth surgically extracted. I had iv sedation but I do remember parts. I woke up and they had only taken out one of the teeth. Apparently it was a difficult extraction. The weekend was pure hell. I was in a ton of pain and my face kept getting bigger and bigger. On Sunday I broke down and called the dentist and they got me in on Monday morning. The doctor examined me and found nothing to be wrong or out of the ordinary. I went home and my condition continued to deteriorate. I didn’t sleep at all that night and the pain killers weren’t doing a thing. By the time Seths alarm went off at 5:15 a.m. and he saw my face he told me to get dressed. He took me to the emergency room at our local hospital and they couldn’t believe that the dentist had sent me home looking the way I did.

this was taken at our local hospital after a shot of morphine

After I was given a shot of morphine I was transferred by ambulance to a larger hospital with an oral surgeon on staff. I was admitted and ended up staying for 5 days. They did 2 oral surgeries. One to put a drain inside my mouth and one to put a drain on my cheek.

the lovely cheek drain

At one point the pain was so bad that morphine wasn’t doing the trick. They put me on dilaudid. I don’t ever want to be in that much pain again. Pure hell.

I am home now and on the road to recovery. My face is still slightly swollen at the jaw and there is still some pain but hopefully that will pass very soon.


5 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Angelica said, on March 3, 2009 at 8:10 am

    You just had to show pictures! That’s so terrible. I still can’t believe all you’ve been through just having 2 teeth out.

  2. Tabitha said, on March 4, 2009 at 9:39 am

    oh my goodness!! how in the hell could the 1st dentist say that was normal???? you poor thing! i’d still have you as my sister wife though πŸ˜‰

  3. Patty said, on March 5, 2009 at 8:58 am

    Oh Sarah…i hope you recover fast…I hope you have help with Lily..Hugs to you.

  4. jenn said, on March 5, 2009 at 7:47 pm

    I can only imagine how much pain you were in. That Goodness you went to the ER when you did. How scary that must have been.

    Keep healing.

  5. Marjorie Cunningham said, on March 8, 2009 at 3:04 pm

    Oh, no, Sarah! I thought you would breeze right through it. Instead you went through a complete nightmare. How awful. How you could have been sent home when you had so much swelling and pain is a total mystery. I’m so sorry you had to endure so much. It would seem to me that something wasn’t done right during surgery for it to have escalated into this. It should have been a relatively simple procedure.

    Feel better soon, dear Sarah.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: